Majlis Daerah Pekan was established  on 1st July 1988 (17 Dzulkaedah 1408 Hijrah) The first YDP, Encik Hashim bin Abdul Wahab, AMP, PJK, was assissted by his team of 13 Council Members and 74 staff. The PDC was officially launched by His Royal Highness Tengku Mahkota Pahang, Tengku Abdullah Ibni Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al Musta’in Billah, on 3rd November 1990.The size of PDC covers the administrative areas of PDC and through Gazette PW 3542, this area was increased to cover 2,351 sq km.

The basic scope of work of the Pekan District Council includes physical, economic and social planning to ensure the stable development of  Pekan Town and to provide efficient  municipal services and responsible towards the planning and development of Pekan.

It is the solemn duty of the PDC to discharge its responsibilities in an effective and competent manner. As such, MDP will endeavour to continously provide quality services to ensure the comfort, satisfaction and success of both residents and visitors to Pekan.